ECO ANN'S QUIZ QUESTION:
if you email Ann with your answer your name will be placed in our year-end draw for a prize for your District. You may enter
each month. Each Guider or Girl who enters will have their name placed in the draw.
QQ#1. What can be used for cleaning your kitchen, bathroom, windows, and all
sorts of other things that cleans 999% of bacteria, dust, dirt and grease WITHOUT USING CLEANSERS THAT HARM THE ENVIRONMENT?
The Answer is: the micro fibre cleaning cloth, made in Sweden, is
made of thousands of loops that can trap 99.9% of bacteria, dust, dirt and
NEW! QQ#2. Name the 3 watersheds that the Greater
Vancouver Area uses as its sources of fresh water. Which one supplies
Richmond, and which one supplies Ladner,Tsawwassen?
email Ann at: metcalfe(at)shaw.ca [change (at) to @ for email address]
NATURE/ENVIRONMENT BOOKS and MAGAZINES:
all available from Ann's home library
- Attracting Backyard Wildlife by Bill Merilees
- creating a garden that will encourage visits from butterflies, birds, chipmunks and others.
- Bugs of British Columbia by John Acorn and Ian Sheldon
- § Earth Book for Kids by Linda Schwartz - activities to help heal the environment ( 1990)
- § Earthcycles and Ecosystems by Beth Savan - for kids and adults
- § Earth Future by Guy Dauncey -short stories of the future such as ecovillages and climate-friendly cars are but a few, but also based on today's reality of envio concerns(1999) age: Guides and up
- Protecting Our Planet by A.Drutman and S. Zuckerman
- Gr. 4-8. Activities to motivate students to a better understanding of our environmental problems
- § 50 Simple Things you can do to Save the Earth (1989)
- Food Revolution by John Robbins
- learn about the environmental and health impacts from the foods we eat
- § For Kids Who Love Animals - by Linda Koebner.
Riddles, fun anima facts and activities to explore the animal kingdom and how to make the Earth
a safer place for all animals (1991)
- § Looking at the Environment by David Suzuki -activities to try (1989)
- One Hundred One Solutions to a Healthy Planet by Guy Dauncey ( 2003)
-ideas for making environmentally sound choices in our daily lives
- § Saving Emily by Nicholas Read ( ages 10 and up)
Chris, a 12 yr. old boy, and Emily, a young calf are brought together in a life-and-death adventure. Looks at what happens to beef cows on the farm.
- Water for Tomorrow - no longer in print. Great information, games, activities
- Worms Eat My Garbage by Mary Apelhop - how to set up and maintain a worm composting system
- § "YES MAG" for older Brownies, Guides and even
Pathfinders. Ann has lots of back copies willing to share ( just return when finished)
§ -suitable for Girls to read